"We're all in the waiting room"

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Long Distance Phone Calls From My Dad

Does anyone remember the days when long distance calls could be as expensive as a tank of gas, a trip to the grocery store,  or a visit from the plumber?  How about those calls about  medical emergencies and brief check ins to alert loved ones that you arrived safely?     My dad travelled for a living as a book salesman.   When he was out of town he called us every night but he only talked for a minute or two.   He checked in with us to make sure everything was okay.  There was no email, texting, facebook, or blah blah blah, oversharing, social media....  

All I remember was that it cost a lot of money to talk on the phone, long distance...  Our family was very frugal and careful about long distance calls.  That expense was reserved for emergencies and quick nightly check in calls.



There Might be an Expensive or Explosive visit from the plumber!   Pay up!


Do you remember those Person to Person calls and the code we all had?  If a loved one was traveling, they would call us Person to Person when they arrived at their destination.  It was a great way to cheat the rip-off lady, Ma Bell.   When you called Person to Person, the recipient could receive the call and tell the operator that the Person was not there, not available or deceased.  It was a great signal that the traveling family member had arrived safely, without the rip-off charge!!!   Person to Person call to Judy Garland!  



Remember Earnestine?  She could connect you person-to-person, station to station or God Forbid if you had to call Collect.   What the Hell did you do?  Would Your Family Member Accept a Collect Call From You?  Yikes....

Wasn't she funny?  I'd love to have dinner with Lily Tomlin someday!


Well I have to admit it's really nice these days that we can connect in a cheap way.  There's Email,  Facebook, Texting, Voicemail. and actually TALKING on the cheap Cell Phone.    The Problem is that nobody talks anymore.  Texting seems to have super ceded actual voice contact.   Whatever...   It makes me sad and depressed.


 I'm an orphan and I'd really like to talk to somebody, especially since I can't talk to my mom....




She was difficult, but she was my MOM!
Talk to your mom....

Send money...
Just Kidding.....

Love, Teresa Agnes

2 comments:

  1. You made my day today and now my night! Love you Teresa Agnes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worse than plumber's butt is seeing a fat neighbor bent over her flower bed with half her personality exposed! Years ago. I still have nightmares.

    ReplyDelete