"We're all in the waiting room"

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Early Days of Orphanhood




After many years, weeks, and months in the waiting room, my dear mother, Margaret, finally got her boarding pass and security clearance to Heaven.  The Angels came for her on Memorial Day, Monday, May 26, a perfect exit for the exquisite Navy Nurse who served her country so bravely in WWII.  We will forever celebrate her final journey on Memorial Day when all flags fly at half mast.
                  And just what about this do you think she did not plan?  

Reverse the tape seven weeks....

Margaret fell ill AGAIN as Forest Gump would say, on Monday, April 7.   This most difficult phase of her waiting room journey lasted for seven weeks.   All the experts told us her death was eminent from the get go.  Well guess what?  She proved them all wrong...  SURPRISE! 

Everybody thought she was waiting for Good Friday so she could die on the Cross with Jesus. Nope... Well maybe she was waiting for Easter Sunday to rise with him.  Not so much...  She wouldn't want to upstage Jesus.   So, those of you who knew her well, feared she was going to play a practical joke on me and go on Mother's Day.  Well she didn't do that either.  I suppose because by this time, she really liked my hair.  (Refer to the Power of Hair post on my blog).

So she held on by the skin of her intact teeth until Memorial Day.  Glory be to God.  Margaret went first class to Heaven with the Angels...

On to Ophan Matters...

Here are a couple thoughts about my transition to orphanhood...   I'm really a newbie at this.  Please don't think I'm telling you how it will be for you or what lies ahead in your future..

I've been experiencing MGA's - Mini, Grief, Attacks.  They come without warning, out of nowhere... You might be in the car, in a restaurant, listening to music, on the toilet or who knows where...  You just start crying.. pathetically so...  Maybe this is not so different than the fear of WMD's that invoked Congress to start a war in Iraq...    Only difference is that the MGA's really exist...  Whoops....

One more thing, for now.....

I've made many calls today to cancel credit cards, place claims for life insurance, cable bills, bank accounts, blah, blah, blah... Just be ready to be placed on hold....  Yeah...  "Your call is important to us, please wait"...  Really? Finally I get a human being to cancel my mother's Master Card.  In spite of his thick foreign accent, we managed to navigate the cancellation.  I was patient and resisted the temptation to blow a gasket until he asked me what state is Oklahoma City in.............

 Good God Almighty....  I let him have it and asked where he was.  I was certain that he was in India...  Well no... He said he was in based in Asia..  Really?  Did Indians start charging too much to staff call centers so they had to move them to Viet Nam?   Was I talking to Hanoi Hank?

Not to offend...  I really like Indian food and Pho...  Just saying...  




 



2 comments:

  1. Teresa, so glad you are back on the writing wagon and sharing more of your continued stories and thoughts. I'm working at home today on a freelance article and enjoyed starting my day off with your blog. Keep on....SC (the only way I've figured out how to sign onto this is to claim anonymity, go figure).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to read your heart here. Margaret looks like a gleeful little girl in this picture. I stand amazed at your love for her. She was very blessed and remains so. As for the intermittent grief deals (IGDs), they will continue indefinitely. Time doesn't heal all wounds. It just plays with our memories and makes us forget stuff. Write away, right away! M Mc

    ReplyDelete