"We're all in the waiting room"

Saturday, November 9, 2013

It's All About the Hair!

HAIR is way more than a Broadway Musical or the "Age of Aquarius"!

In a woman's life, HAIR can defy old age, sickness, bad marriages, unhappiness, and unsuccessful children...  Hair is the great equalizer.  It's the ultimate leverage for a woman.  In the modern age in which we live, Hair can be colored, styled, straightened, permed, cut, grown out and made into beautiful wigs for those who have none...

I consider my mother a pioneer in the world of modern hair.  In 91 years, never ONCE has she let her hair go gray....  It all fell out during chemo in 1990, so that doesn't count..   Even in the hospital, if it was turning a little gray, she wore her stylish nighttime bonnet until the beauty shop lady could get there...  This is serious devotion to the power of HAIR! 




My mother realized this truth long before Nora Ephron.

There's a reason why forty, fifty, and sixty don't look the way they used to, and it's not because of feminism, or better living through exercise. It's because of hair dye. In the 1950's only 7 percent of American women dyed their hair; today there are parts of Manhattan and Los Angeles where there are no gray-haired women at all.” 


And if Nora were still alive she'd love my mother.    She would especially love and appreciate my mother's steadfast commitment to her hair, through sickness and in health, in poverty and prosperity, in war and peace, till death do they part!   I'm telling you if my mother gets to Heaven without her hair, she WILL SUE GOD!  She's already committed to doing so if he sends her to Hell, "wrongful damnation."   She's probably got the papers filled out and filed away somewhere.  

Notice the height of her do.  A woman of her stature and accomplishment must have a little height on the top.  The flat head look is not at all her style...  

I know I disappointed my mother because I didn't go to law school.  I'm so over that.  If I were some big shot attorney, who would take care of my mother and oversee her "hair care"?  However, when she gets after me about my hair, my cortisol levels go through the roof...  Lately, I've been off the hook.  She's been liking my hair...  I'm enjoying it while it lasts...  Carpe Diem!

2 comments:

  1. Carpe Diem indeed!!! ~G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earthquakes won't stop her from getting hair care, cuts and color!...Recognize your signature.... Love, T. Agnes


    ReplyDelete