"We're all in the waiting room"

Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Power of Family, Faith, and a Really Great Steak!

There's nothing quite like the forces of family, faith, and a really great steak to jolt my mother into the stratosphere!  Not quite Heaven, just a delicious taste!

Last evening we had dinner with our dear friends Abbot Lawrence Stasyszen and Br. Damian Whalen from St. Gregory's Abbey and University.  I have had the privilege to serve on their University board and volunteer for numerous fundraising events.  My husband and I have become great friends with them as has my mother.

Oh and by the way, my husband, Charlie was able to join us...  Normally he's the star of the show with my mother,  except when the Abbot and Br. Damian can join us.  Last night he was relegated to the role of a common guest.    Good thing he has a great sense of humor and fun!

My mother is a devout Catholic and she is truly in her glory amongst these dear friends.  She devoted much of her life working for the church; raising money, and practicing her faith.  She has also lived her faith in every way.  At 91, she continues to faithfully contribute to our local parish, Christ The King in Oklahoma City.


She loves to tell stories about her begging adventures for St. Agnes Cathedral in Springfield, Missouri.  As a three year old, I would accompany her, along with an old maid spinster named Alice Boon to
shake down local businesses and rich doctor's wives volunteering at the local Catholic hospital.  When Alice wasn't doing the shake down, she was usually babysitting me while my mom managed my dad's business...  I think Alice lived for the shake down!  

She and my mom were like Mike Wallace in the early days of 60 Minutes...  They perfected the surprise attack.  It proved effective! They raised a lot of money...

My mom's favorite story is about storming through the doors of the then, very small local business, O'Reilly Automotive. Yes, the same O'Reilly Automotive that you see on virtually every street corner.  This vast empire started in Sleepy, Springfield, Missouri!  My mother had spot on, pre-Google, instincts about how to follow the money.

My mom and the old spinster, Alice Boon, would confront cranky Old Man O'Reilly and ask for money for the church.  He would order my mom, the old lady, and the little kid (me) out...   Immediately, doors would open and his sons would emerge apologizing for their father and offering whatever Father Needed!  

Does this woman look like she's on death's door?  She very well could be this evening or in the morning, afternoon or the next day...  Her situation can change on a dime, but last night, Margaret had a ball!   Not a FALL!!!

We've packed a lot of good times in and when God decides to take her, I won't have any regrets.  But, make no mistake, I'll be a puddle on the floor and somebody will have to mop me up when she goes to Heaven.  But I can't waste precious time worrying about it.  None of us knows the day or the hour.

Carpe Diem with a Really Great Steak!   


No comments:

Post a Comment